The Choral Scholars ministry offers eight scholarship positions of $1000 per semester to area college students for the academic year. The positions allow students the experience of singing with an accomplished church choir, hopefully fostering a lifelong involvement with church music. Choral Scholars are encouraged to be active in the college ministry of the church, enjoying the support of a "home away from home" church family.
- Choral Scholars must be actively enrolled in a degree program at an area college or university. Scholars become full participating members of the Adult Choir at First Baptist Church.
- Participation requirements include a weekly rehearsal on Wednesday evenings from 7:00-8:30 p.m. and Sunday morning worship from 10:45 a.m.-12:00 noon. Additional activities include two seasonal concerts and an overnight fall retreat (expenses covered).
- The schedule for the 2012-2013 academic year begins Wednesday, September 5 through Sunday, December 16, 2012, then Wednesday, January 9 through Sunday, May 12, 2013. In this period, absences from 6 rehearsals and 6 services will be permitted.
- Payments of the scholarship will be made directly to the educational institution following each semester's participation.
- Applications for 2012-13 are now closed. Applications for 2013-14 will be available in August, 2013.
If you would like more information, please feel free to call the office at 828.252.4781 x315, or email our Music Ministry Assistant Tracey Jenkins at