Our church is launching a partnership with First Baptist Church of New Bern, NC. Their city and the surrounding rural areas were devastated by Florence. They are taking the first steps in a marathon of recovery. Here’s just a little of what they are doing right now:
- Mobilizing their members to serve their own community (local feedings, yard cleanup, home evacuation).
- Gathering for prayer for those impacted by Florence.
- Utilizing their facility space to house 200 relief workers (American Red Cross, Swift Water Rescue Teams, National Guard Personnel).
- Coordinating hosts and meals for the 200 workers staying at the church.
- Working with Baptists on Mission to help volunteers find places of service.
Our pastor, Mack Dennis, has engaged Richard Seagle, senior pastor of FBC New Bern and a native of WNC. We have offered our help in coming alongside them and serving in ways they can identify. Along with them, we’ll be working with Baptists on Mission, also a partner with FBC New Bern.
We asked, “What can we do today?” Dr. Seagle said that their system is overwhelmed right now just restoring power and supporting First Responders. We do feel we can help by sending immediate funds to offset some of the direct expenses FBC New Bern has in feeding and housing those helpers. We also believe they will be able to see the most immediate needs right there in their community. In the coming weeks, as their systems get in place, FBC New Bern would welcome a team from FBCA.
So, as a church, let’s commit to three things right now:
- PRAY for the staff of FBC New Bern as they respond to immediate needs. Dr. Seagle said, “Most of all we need your prayers for New Bern and its people. We as a church staff need prayers for wisdom in knowing how to prioritize and meet the needs.”
- GIVE to a love offering that we will send to FBC New Bern this week. You may give online or during the offering Sunday, September 23.
- GO in the coming weeks and months if you can. Watch for a brief sign-up sheet that will help us know who can go and for how long. Click here if you would like to volunteer and complete the online form.